Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Wise Words

Tom Friedman's great article in today's NY Times is worth reading. He draws a line between Tea Kettle movement and Tea Partiers. He says the Tea Kettlers really want to let off steam...and really have little to add to today's conversation. Screaming ain't enough. Friedman says that genuine Tea Party folk deal with the issues and try to seek solutions. Burning down a building is not a solution.

When I was Pastor there was always a little group in every church that screamed and hollered over just about everything. They were always present at Business meetings and kept my phone ringing--not to speak of letters and emails. As a young Pastor I lost a lot of sleep worry about all these people. What I discovered was that they were a small but very vocal group. They didn't talk to anyone but each other and they had the feeling they were the majority. Someone once told me: " But it doesn't take but one pit bull to wound you!"
I guess some would say the same thing about "Mama Grizzles." I've been on a media-be-responsible kick lately. I think if we had not given this group called Tea Partiers so much exposure they would have little power. I still think, like those trouble-makers in the church--there really aren't as many out there as they and even we think.

No comments:

Post a Comment