Monday, November 29, 2010

This is not a Football Game

E.J. Dionne's great article about Blaming Obama for everything is worth reading. I recommend it highly. Dionne He says that it looks like the newly elected Republican power base will try to block everything that Obama brings up. This way he will look like a failure and they will "take their country back" (whatever that means) in the next Presidential election.

It is high time for politicians to remember they represent their constituency and the best interests (not of getting elected)  but of helping this country with its enormous problems. Some of the Republican leadership says that if "he will work with us" we can get things done. Interpretation: If he gives in to our demands--this will be bipartianship. Hmm. Case in point: Turn down Unemployment benefits for millions who cannot find work--five people for every job. Then keep talking about giving a tax cut to everybody (meaning keep the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy.) How can we do this in good conscience?

Years ago a wise counselor told me in marriage you can win the argument and lose the war. He said that any husband or wife may be able to beat the other down with arguments but this solves nothing. It only brings resentment and frustration. You may win the battle--but nothing has been accomplished. Marriage is give and take from both sides--it is consensus. It is respecting opposite opinions even when you think they are wrong. In the country Democrats and Republicans need to remember there is something bigger at stake for our nation than winning some election or getting your way. This is a whole lot  bigger than a football game.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Roger, I've just stumbled upon your blog, and I thought it's not too polite to just read your words and take off without saying hi. I should say at the outset that I am neither American nor Christian, I am in fact a New Zealand born Australian and non-Christians are pretty common down here - in fact according to census figures about 1/3 of the population goes to church regularly whereas I understand that in the US it's more like 2/3. However, we're nice folks for all of that :) I'm interested to read your opinion on the current political situation, and I also read some of your older posts about your trip (and the preparations - had to chuckle out loud at your 'suitcase each' packing regime - I tried that once but my husband soon discovered it really meant 1 1/2 for me a 1/2 for him). In one of your posts about being in Europe you expressed surprise that American politics is followed so closely outside the US, I can assure you we're watching closely down here as well. I don't really understand the Tea Party phenomenon but I sure hope it doesn't catch on down here.

    Before I go I must stay that I have enjoyed my visit, your writing style is very engaging. I hope you don't mind that I just 'stopped by', and I might even pop back again from time to time.

    My best regards to you and your 'long suffering' (your words I believe!) wife.

    ReplyDelete