Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Growing Up Gay in Church--Listen to what Jeff Chu Says

I  recently saw this remarkable video of a young man, Jeff Chu talking about what it's like to grow up Gay in Church recently. I wish this video could be shown to every church in the country. He delivered his moving words to a Youth Ministry Conference in Chicago. Jeff has also written a book about his experience called, Does Jesus Really Love Me? I hope you'll take the time to view this video and maybe get the book. 

Somebody the other day said, "I don't think we have any gays in our church." I said, "Don't kid yourself--at least ten per cent of those sitting out there on Sunday are struggling with being gay."

We still have a long way to go. Many churches and denominations are scared to death of this issue. Why, we might lose members if this gets out. Jeff Chu is helping us understand what it feels like to sit in church and feel like nobody cares or understands what they are going through. One of the best definitions of church is sanctuary. A safe Place. Church ought to be safe for everybody.

Jesus says in his last parable, "I was a stranger and you took me in...Inasmuch as you do it unto the least of these you do it unto me."

(Thanks to Rachel Held Evans and her fine blog for pointing this video out to me. rachelheldevans.com/blog)


No comments:

Post a Comment