Friday, June 22, 2018

About the Immigration Fiasco

photo by Erik Drost / flickr

I had never seen this sculpture until we were lining up to visit Ellis Island. I couldn't get this picture out of my mind when I first saw it. And when all this heartbreak over immigrants and their children started--I thought about this picture. In the background is the Statue of Liberty. In America--the Statue of Liberty ought to always be in the picture. 

I am heartsick every day. Poor people, desperate that fled all sorts of terrors to come to a place that they felt would be safe and free and hopeful. And what happened? We took from these people probably the only thing they had of happiness and joy in their lives: their children. And we have scattered them around the nation and many of them will probably never see their parents again. 

The damage we have done to these folk--is incalculable. My God--what kind of people are we? What kind of quasi-representatives represent somebody, not us, in Washington. What kind of a man who calls himself President cannot feel or even care for all these folk.

When I have watched the surge of support and outright horror from so many of our citizens--I know deep in my heart that democracy may have been sidetracked for a little while--but we the people--we the people--will decide the direction of this country. And it will not look like the cruelty that has been unleashed of late once again. Remember Katrina. Hopefully we will not forget when it comes time to vote. 

--Roger Lovette / rogerlovette.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment