Monday, July 2, 2018

2018 July 4th Ponderings



I'm having a hard time these days with so many things I feel like the government is doing wrong. The Immigrant crisis is just one of many. But for me it reflects that we are traveling the wrong way as a country and don't know where we are going.

One of the things I do to try to help my perspective is poetry--good poetry. And Wendell Berry helps me as much as anything. He wrote these words years ago. But good poetry speaks to the human condition in any age.

This is what he wrote in: This Day.

"The nation is a boat, 
as some have said, ourselves 
its passengers. How troubling
now to ride it drifting 
down the flow from the old
high vision of dignity, freedom, 
holy writ of habeas corpus,
and the land's abundance--down
to waste, want, fear, tyranny,
torture, caricature
of vision in a characterless time,
while the abyss whirls below."



photo by Beverly and Pack / flickr

--Roger Lovette / rogerlovette.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment