Thursday, November 1, 2018

Hatred Will Not Replace Us

photo by Jukie Bot / flickr


Last year watching the Charlottesville debacle--the scariest part of that evening was that crowd carrying torches. They chanted: "Jews will not place us" again and again. This is America?  Sure we've had our kooks and racists through the years--but I never thought I would see this ugliness in a college town in our country in 2018.  Is this us?

Bigotry and hatred are contagious. And it's in Pittsburg and in Orlando and in those post offices that contained bombs from some of the most prominent public figures. Muslims and immigrants have felt its sting again and again. Those Mexican workmen across the street must feel scared every day they drive to work. Many of their children worry about leaving home and going to school--will their parents be at home when they get off the school bus? And those 500 children still missing their parents--wondering if they will ever get home--wherever home is. 

I love this country. I would not want to live elsewhere. But lately I think we have tried to make America great again by turning the clock back to the 1950's. Women stayed home and ironed and cooked and waited for Daddy. Gays were way deep in some closet. Blacks--well, you know that story.  Joseph McCarthy was calling everybody a communist. Voter suppression--have we really come very far? Our list today is seemingly endless. Would turning back the clock make us really great?

Remember what Martin Niemoller, the German pastor wrote in the Nazi heyday:


 "First they came for the communists, and I didn't speak out because I was not as communist. 
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't as trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jews. 
Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out for me."

I still have hope. This is not us. And this is why I still read the supposedly "fake news." Those who spout those words have no idea what truth really is. Nicholas Kristof has this great article about our condition today. He began with that terrible shooting that took 11 Jewish people's lives in  their Synagogue. Read his words. If they are fake, folks--I do believe in fake. What about you?


photo courtesy of complative imaging / flickr


--Roger Lovette / rogerlovette.blogspot.com




No comments:

Post a Comment