Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Jesus Bore his Cross--A Lenten Word



When I was Pastor I would break away from all my responsibilities for two weeks of study. I went to Princeton Seminary. Those two weeks were always a transfusion and I always came back renewed. And every year while there I would wander up Mercer Street and make my way behind the Trinity Church. Back of that church was a powerful statue of Jesus shouldering his cross. As you can see from the photograph he looks back and his outstretched hand beckons all  to come. I was always moved by that silver statue. 

I don't know why I was drawn like a magnet to this statue but it's power always pulled me in. It reminded me of a little shy nine-year old boy who walked down the church aisle one night and tremblingly said, "Yes." Little did I know then or now what that word entailed. But that night I picked up my own cross and began to follow.

Like so many others it was always a sometime experience. For like our Lord I stumbled under the weight of that "yes-ness." Scared of just about everything. Poor, poor self-image, confused about life, depressed about things I could never name. Dreaming of better days far away from it all. 

But doors closed and dreams seemed so far away--if at all. And I would put down that cross that I had yes to a hundred times. And doors would open. Strangely I could never get too far from that yes. And so reluctantly I would once again pick up my cross and try to follow as best I could. It has been that way all these tangled years. Yes-No-Yes-No-No-Yes. And here in old age surrounded by memories and dreams --I am still drawn to that figure behind that New Jersey church.

One of my favorite quotes is: "He keeps going like a bullet-torn battle flag and nobody captured his colors and nobody silenced his drums." I love those words because I wish they were true in my own life. But I know better. But this I remember.  Once upon a time he bore the cross--and stretched out his hand to me. Nobody, but nobody captured his colors or silenced his drums.

So here I sit remembering. And how despite the ups and downs of so much--I cannot forget that Jesus bearing his cross and stretching out his hand.




--Roger Lovette / rogerlovette.blogspot.com

1 comment: