Sunday, May 5, 2019

Rachel Held Evans--We Won't Forget You

Rachel Held Evans died Saturday at age 37. She was a progressive Christian author that challenged traditional evangelical views of politics and the role of women and LGBTQ members of the church.

In a time when many evangelicals have forgotten their heritage and lean on Trumpian politics she called us back to a healthy faith that takes in all God's children. She wrote: "I thought I was called to challenge the atheists, but the atheists ended up challenging me." She also wrote: "I thought God wanted to use me to show gay people how to be straight. Instead God used gay people to show me how to be Christian." She leaves her husband and two children, the youngest only one year old. Her fans and friends can be counted on in the multitudes. 

We shall miss her and her voice for a healthy faith. I leave her with the Benediction which comes from the Roman Catholic Prayer for the Dead:

"Into paradise may the angels lead her; at her coming may the martyrs take her up into eternal rest, and may the chorus of angels leads her to that holy city, and the place of perpetual light. Amen."

photo by Twitter Trends 2019

--Roger Lovette / rogerlovette.blogspot.com





No comments:

Post a Comment