Thursday, September 26, 2019

Impeachment Confusion

photo by S Kaya / flickr



I am trying my best to stay out of partisan political matters. It isn't easy these days. I have good friends that are Republicans and friends that are Democrats. This bashing, demeaning, name-calling and very unchristian behavior is not confined to any one group. This choosing-sides makes me hesitate to deal with this issue. Yet I am an American and I love this country immensely. But first I am supposed to be a Christian. God knows I stumble and fall time after time--but I am trying to follow the Lord Jesus. It is hard in any age.

The piousity which engulfs both parties is sickening. Nobody--no body is without sin. Many on both sides of this issue wave their political flag and do whatever their party says. Greedy for power they have closed their eyes to the truth. People are jumping up and down hoping we will crucify Trump on this Ukraine matter. Others are saying whatever the President does is fine--after all he is the President.

Nicholas Kristof whom I have quoted several times--is a wise man. He is not perfect. But his piece on this impeachment issue is worth reading. 

Pray for our President, pray for this Impeachment Committee. Pray for our country. Pray for the whole world that God loves.

A wise old Middle Eastern mystic said this about himself. "I was a revolutionary when I was young, and all my prayer to God was: 'Lord, give me the energy to change the world.' As approached middle age and realized that my life was half gone without my changing a single soul, I changed my prayer to: 'Lord, give me the grace to change all those who come into contact with me. Just my family and friends, and I shall be satisfied.'  Now that I am an old man and my days are numbered, I have begun to see how foolish I have been. My one prayer now is: 'Lord, give me the grace to change myself.' If I had prayed this right from the start, I would not have wasted my life. Let us pray.

It wouldn't hurt to end this piece with the Franciscan Benedition:



"May God bless you with discomfort...
At easy answers, half truths, and superficial relationships, 
So that you may live deep within your heart.

May God bless you with anger...
At injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people,
So that you may work for justice, freedom, and peace.

May God bless you with tears...
To shed for those who suffer pain, 
rejection and starvation, and war.
So that you may reach out your hand to comfort them
And to turn their pain into joy.

And may God bless you with just enough foolishness...
To believe that you can make a difference in this world, 
So that you can do what others claim cannot be done."

I don't have anything else to say on this matter before us. Except--God be with you and with us all.


--Roger Lovette/ rogerlovette.blogspot.com





1 comment:

  1. Be patient. Ganga music If you need a lawyer, you are likely to be a ball of nerves. Don't let that rush you into choosing the first lawyer you run into. Ganga bhakti

    ReplyDelete