Monday, January 6, 2020

Epiphany Time: This Little Light...


photo courtesy of Medill DC / flickr


I have been thinking a lot about Fred Rogers since I saw the movie, "Want You Be My Neighbor?" For 33 years kids would sit on the floor in front of their TV and watch and listen Mr. Rogers. Both of my children loved his program and loved him. Underneath all Mr. Rogers said or did on that program was the idea that every child is important. And every child ought to have the truth embedded in their hearts that they are loved and they are important. For millions of kids he lit a candle and turned on their lights. His was no little light. Story after story told us of his love ansd care not only for children but for us all.

He spoke at a lot of Graduations. I was very moved when I read the ending of his address
to the Graduates at Marquette University in 2001. Those gathered report those parting words brought tears to many eyes there that day.  His word are as true today as they were then:

"Before I say goodbye and bow again to the eternal within you, I'd like to give you the words of one of my favorite neighborhood songs. This song is called It's You I Like.
It's you I like,
It's not the things you wear.
It's not the way you do your hair,
But it's you I like.
The way you are right now
The way down deep inside you
Not the things that hide you
Not your diplomas...
They're just beside you.
But it's you I like,
Every part of you,
Your skin, your eyes, your feelings,
Whether old or new.
I hope that you'll remember
Even when you're feeling blue,
That it's you I like,
It's you yourself, it's you
It's you I like!.
Congratulations to you all."

In this hard time with divisions in our country and around the world these words of Mr. Rogers may sound simplistic. But all of us have this little light. "If we let shine...and shine...and shine..." the world might not change but we will. Knowing that what we do and say matters and counts. And we keep on going, some of us with enormous obstacles, because the writer John said it best: "the light has  come into the world and the darkness cannot put it out."

And thia is what I have been thinking about this Epiphany time.

photo by Joe Brusky / flickr


--Roger Lovette / rogerlovette.blogspot.com





No comments:

Post a Comment