Thursday, July 16, 2020

Jesus: A Prayer for our Time



As I walked into the Basilica Familia in Barcelona I stopped at the entrance and saw etched in stone name after name. But in the center was a name I knew. I touched the word that said: Jesus. It was carved into that stone over and over. Unlike the other names this one particular word had been touched so many times by those who passed into the church. As I gently touched the name I remembered not only my name and my needs. But in touching I lifted up my wife and children and so many, many out there that need what Jesus promised to us all.

The temple was designed by the great architect Antoni Gaudi.  The Church was named: Sagrada Familia and the cornerstone was laid in 1853. Even after all these years the church is not completed. How many thousands of people have touched that sacred name and lifted up their own prayer needs these 167 years.

In this hard time we are encouraged to practice mindfulness. One of the oldest prayers of the Church was simply one word: Jesus. Over and over believers would whisper this single name. They would lift up the longings of their hearts and world in this one-word prayer: Jesus. We don't have to spell out all our needs, Jesus can sort them out one by one. 

"Since we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who in every respect has been tested as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore approach the throne of grace with boldness, so that we may rerceive mercy and find grace to help in time of need."
                                                       --Hebrews 4. 15-16

photo by Via Tsuji / flickr



--Roger Lovette / rogerlovette.blogspot.com






No comments:

Post a Comment