Thursday, March 17, 2016

A Healthy Word in an Unhealthy Time


 Steffan O. / flickr 
"Paul talked about faith, hope

and love. If he were writing

today I think he would say the

greatest of these is hope."

              --Frederick Buechner



Jim Wallis is a very wise man who has been the firing line for many years.

He has always been on the side of peace and justice for all. You can read his great stuff in Sojourners Magazine.

I just read this sermon that he gave at the Washington National Cathedral in Washington. His words are some of the healthiest I have heard in this dark time. I recommend them to everyone.

One of my favorite quotes about hope is by Barbara Kingsolver. I want to share her good words with you.

"Here's what I've decided: the very least you can do in your life is figure out what you hope for.  And the most you can do is live inside that hope. Not admire it from a distance but live right in it, under it's roof. What I want is so simple I almost can't say it: elementary kindness. Enough to eat, enough to go around. The possibility that kids might one day grow up to be neither the destroyers nor the destroyed. That's about it. Right now I'm living in that hope, running down its hallways and touching the walls on both sides. I can't tell you how good it feels."  (from Animal Dreams)


--Roger Lovette / rogerlovette.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment