Saturday, October 9, 2021

Happy Birthday Leslie



She came into our lives on the evening of October 9. Dick Delleney held my hand in the waiting room. This was as far as we could go back then. We had already been to the hospital once but they sent us back home. Not ready. Well, this time she must've been ready because they wheeled her in and closed the door. 

We waited a long time before the door opened and the Doctor stood there smiling saying, "You've got a little girl." So they invited us in and there was my wife still half-groggy for what they had given her. 

And a nurse brought the baby in and showed me this tiny little baby-girl with a mass of red curls even then. And my wife sat up and said, "Let me see her ears." The nurse said: "What?" And the new Mama said:. "Her ears--let me see her ears." And so the dumbfounded nurse lifted the baby down so my wife could see. "Yep." she said, "She has her father's ears. And after all these years still has those ears except now you can't see them--they are camouflaged with a whole lot of hair.

But we remember on this her special day so many memories that have clustered around that child with the big ears.  And so we thank God and a whole lot of helpers along the way that helped shape her into this gorgeous woman she has become. She has two daughter that she loves fiercely. She has taught I don't know how many years and has touched a great many lives. Which includes I would add two parents--which she used to call: parrots. "Children obey your parrots," she would piously intone. Riding home from church one Sunday we were talking about Jesus and what he did.  She leaned over from the back seat and said, "Jesus is a boy? I thought Jesus was a girl." This was a long time before the Me-Too movement. Who knows she just may be right. For the girl-Jesus she already loved.

This is her day and we wish her the best of everything. I've thought for a long time if I had another little girl I would hope she would be just like Leslie maybe with the Parrots and the Jesus-girl thrown in for good measure.


                                                         
                                                                        --Roger Lovette  /   rogerlovette.blogspot.com 

 

                                                

1 comment:

  1. Just saw this and added your date to my calendar. Happy birthday, Leslie!

    ReplyDelete